Getting to Know the Tupelo School District
Parents with kids in the Tupelo Public School District probably think they know everything about the institutions in charge of educating our kids. With day-to-day interactions with teachers, principals, school nurses and other staff, local moms and dads certainly have firsthand knowledge of which things work and which things need improvement.
Some positive tidbits may have fallen by the wayside, and it’s because of this that we’re sharing some “fast facts” about local public schools. This information came directly from the Tupelo Public School System website at Tupeloschools.com.
• 7007 students are enrolled, with 11 languages spoken (wow!)
• Over 50-percent of the system’s students are on the Honor Roll (great work!)
• There are 593 certified teachers in the district, with 52-percent of the system’s educators holding advanced degrees
• The district has programs designed to enhance S.T.E.M. field learning
• The district has award-winning fine and performing arts programs and has been recognized with wins such as the 2017 MS Alliance for Arts Education Award, Governor’s Award for Excellence in Arts Education, and more
• District athletics can boast of wins in 26 state championships
• Student athletes in the district average an impressive 3.3 GPA
• 24 varsity sports and 8 junior varsity sports are offered
• The district offers extra activities including after-school clubs, intramurals, service learning projects and Move-to-Learn
• The district maintains partnerships with — and/or receives grants from — entities such as Parks and Recreation; North Mississippi Medical Center; Association of Excellence in Education; Toyota Wellspring Educational Fund; Toyota USA National (Project Lead the Way); and the E.R. and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation.
The mission statement of the Tupelo School system makes clear how important a successful and efficient school district can be to our kids’ future. The mission statement reads: “The Tupelo Public School District serves the community by engaging each student in an excellent education that develops skills and citizenship needed for success in a global society.”
These are just a few facts about an important local resource…log on to Tupeloschools.com to learn more.