Science and Nature Writing for Kids and Teens Online Workshop
Science and Nature Writing For Kids & Teens ONLINE Workshop is a two-week online workshop that features pre-recorded lectures, “live” lectures, a one-to-one faculty critique and an editor consultation, hands-on exercises, office hours to cover specific topics of interest, editor Q&A, and opportunities for student community engagement.
The submission window opens on August 1 and remains open until August 12. After you register and submit your manuscript, you will be scheduled for your one-to-one with faculty between August 9-23. you can submit one completed picture book manuscript or up to 1200 words of a longer science or nature-related project. If you are an author/illustrator, you can also submit a pdf of dummy sketches for critique.
What you’ll learn:
You’ll study the craft of writing powerful books and articles about science and nature for young readers. Learn how to submit both fiction and nonfiction science and nature work to editors and agents. Have one-to-one critiques from faculty mentors. Learn to energize readers through active fiction and nonfiction writing about science and nature. You will:
- Hear pre-recorded and Live lectures about craft and markets.
- Examine formats and genres, including science-inspired fiction, narrative nonfiction, expository nonfiction, concept books, poetry, and everything in between.
- Draw on your research to write cohesive, energetic, nonfiction and fiction books, articles, or other science-based works.
- Have one-to-one manuscript critiques with faculty mentors.
- Explore ideas: how to generate, evaluate, and shape them to engage and attract agents and editors.
Join the workshop if:
- You love science and our natural world, and want to share your knowledge and passion with kids. This workshop will show you the dynamics of engaging fiction and nonfiction science and nature-based writing.
- You want to write picture books, nonfiction, chapter books, or books for middle grade and young adult readers. This comprehensive review of the market for science and nature books will move you forward, no matter what age level your writing is aimed at.
- You would appreciate multiple feedback perspectives on your manuscript. After your one-to-one critique with faculty, you’ll have fresh ideas for revision. And after hearing from acquiring editors about what they’re looking for, you’ll be well prepared to start submitting.