Submit Your Mississippi State Flag Design
House Bill 1796 established a commission to redesign the Mississippi State Flag. The Mississippi Department of Archives and History (MDAH), which is providing clerical support for the commission, is now accepting flag design submissions. The sole purpose of the commission, according to the bill, is to develop, design, and report to the governor and the legislature its recommendation for the design of the new state flag no later than September 14, 2020.
The criteria for the flag is as follows:
- Only unique flag design submissions that include the words “In God We Trust” will be considered by the nine-member commission. Flag descriptions will not be considered.
- The new flag design cannot include the Confederate battle flag.
- Flag design submissions must adhere to principles of the North American Vexillological Association:
- Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, color, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
- Use Two or Three Basic Colors.
- Be Distinctive or Be Related.
The deadline for submissions is August 13, 2020.
For more details and to submit your entry, click here.