A Holiday Gift and Tips Guide
The holidays are a perfect time to say thank you to the people who provide great services to us all year long. An envelope with cash is nice, but a gift they can unwrap shows you took the extra time to appreciate their hard work. If you are stuck for the idea for the babysitter, hair stylist, postman or the cleaning lady, check out a few of these one-size-fits-all gifts.
1. A gift of the movies – In today’s busy world, people still appreciate the opportunity to sit down in front of a movie and relax for a few hours. If you don’t know which movie theatre is closest to their house, consider a Fandango.com gift card. Looking for something a little more budget friendly? Purchase a gift card online from Redbox.com and wrap up with a box of microwave popcorn and a box of M&M’s.
2. An automotive gift – This is the perfect gift for the babysitter with her first car, a male teacher or the football coach. Consider a gift card to purchase gas, get an oil change or have the car detailed. Other gifts might include air fresheners, ice scrapers or an emergency road kit.
3. The gift of good health – Winter is cold and flu season and we all want to do our best to avoid getting sick. Create a basket with hand sanitizer, individual tissue packs, lip balm, hand cream and cough drops. Not sure if they like cherry or honey flavor? Consider adding a Walgreens, CVS or Rite Aid gift card instead. Your babysitter might enjoy the gift card to buy makeup or other cosmetic products.
4. The gift of a good meal – Choosing a restaurant gift card for someone is risky. They may have had a bad experience at there or have food allergies that you don’t know about it. A Restaurant.com gift card allows the recipient to purchase their own gift cards from local restaurants at a discounted rate. There are also deals available on Restaurant.com for travel, entertainment and lifestyle items.
5. The gift that keeps on giving – A magazine subscription is something that can be enjoyed long after the holidays are over. Let the receiver choose from over 3000 magazine titles including People, Parents and Sports Illustrated with a gift card to Magazines.com.
6. A gift that freezes time – Many local, professional photographers offer mini photo sessions that include five or six digital images. These are perfect for headshots, senior pictures, an updated family picture or just the opportunity to be silly. If that is a little out of your budget, a mall studio like The Picture People might be a better fit.
7. A gift they can choose themselves – Sometimes the best gift is one that you can pick out for yourself. Give the gift of an Amazon or eBay gift card and you open the doors to countless gift options. If online shopping is too difficult for older recipients, a Visa gift card can be used at local stores, restaurants or for any service they choose.
8. It’s a wrap – The coolest gift I received from a customer was a box of wrapping paper. It is something we all need during the holiday season. This is an inexpensive gift if purchased at the end of the season or at the dollar store. Create a gift of matching paper or gift bags, tissue, gift tags, ribbons and bows. Don’t forget to include tape and scissors.
Pam Molnar is a freelance writer and mother of three. As a former service industry worker she knows how important a holiday tip is to a working mom (or dad).
Make your list, Check it twice
Don’t forget all the people that help you throughout the year:
Postal Delivery Person
Cleaning Service Providers
Newspaper Delivery Person
Day Care Provider